Biblaridion

Welcome to Biblaridion, or 'little scroll'. On this 'little scroll' will be written my various and sundry musings on myriad topics but especially on the Bible.

Name:
Location: Plano, Texas, United States

7.24.2005

"Classic." A book which people praise and don't read.

The title is a witty and, in my opinion, quite true aphorism by Mark Twain (it can be found as a "Pudd'nhead Wilson's New Calendar" quote at the top of Chapter 25 of Following the Equator).

Well, I have been inspired by the recent "Buy 2 Get 1 Free!" Barnes & Noble classics series to make sure that Twain's quote does not apply to me. This, I suppose, is one of many reasons (or excuses, if you prefer) for the recent slowdown in my blog postings, as I have been spending much of my free time in my recliner absorbed in the complex and intriguing plots of one classic novel after another.

I always wonder what classic novels others have read, or are reading, and what it might say (or not say...) about them. Here is my own current, perhaps somewhat quirky, reading list:


  • A Tale of Two Cities, Dickens
  • The Brothers Karamazov, Dostoyevsky
  • The House of the Dead, Dostoyevsky
  • The Idiot, Dostoyevsky
  • Poor Folk, Dostoyevsky
  • The Possessed, Dostoyevsky
  • The Count of Monte Cristo, Dumas
  • Dead Souls, Gogol
  • The Metamorphosis, Kafka
  • The Prince, Machiavelli
  • Frankenstein, Shelley
  • Dracula, Stoker
  • Candide, Voltaire
  • The Picture of Dorian Gray, Wilde


    As you can see I have some affinity for the works of Fyodor Dostoyevsky, perhaps mainly for what I consider to be his deep, or at least highly interesting, insights into atheism and religion. The others books just happened to strike my fancy for one reason or another. There are so many things I'd like to read in my life...and so seemingly little time.

    I have to admit that after my usual reading material, technical works on textual criticism and the Bible, I have been amazed at how fast I have been able to zoom through an 800 page fictional novel! And strangely enough, it has been quite a pleasant diversion!

  • 2 Comments:

    Blogger BK said...

    On your list, I have read the following:

    A Tale of Two Cities, Dickens -- An absolutely great novel. One of my alltime favorites. Then again, there is very little by Dickens I have read and not liked.

    The Brothers Karamazov, Dostoyevsky -- I am reading this now (very slowly). I keep getting hung up with other projects that sidetrack me. It is interesting so far.

    The Count of Monte Cristo, Dumas -- A really good book.

    The Prince, Machiavelli -- I had to read this for Political Science Class. I thought it was very dry and holds a viewpoint that is particularly dispicable. Of course, Machiavelli wrote it as a farce, but he was trying to make a point (and he made it quite well).

    Frankenstein, Shelley -- I have heard it is really good and much better than the movie. It is on my list of books to read.

    Dracula, Stoker -- No interest in this book whatsoever.

    The Picture of Dorian Gray, Wilde -- Very, very dull and stilted. Except for its very interesting idea which is the main theme of the story, there is not much good to say about this book.

    8:55 AM  
    Blogger Bryan said...

    Hey, bk! Glad to see you at my blog! Thanks for your views.

    I have now finished 'The Possessed', 'The Picture of Dorian Gray', 'Candide', and am currently working on 'Dracula'.

    The Possessed -- Was interesting and deep, but I found the ending somewhat confusing.

    The Picture of Dorian Gray -- Actually I didn't find this novel dull at all, which suprised me I suppose. There were a few slow parts of the book where gems and other objects were being described (which reminded me of Melville's descriptions of whalers and whaling in Moby Dick), but I really enjoyed the story. I can't help but think that Wilde shared many of his own philosophical world views through both Dorian and Lord Harry.

    Candide -- Interesting and short read. Not at all what I expected, but not a bad read.

    Dracula -- Parts of the novel are very exciting so far and parts are very boring. It is written in the style of letters, diary entries, and even phonograph records, and tends to jump around.

    Looking forward to the others books...

    2:05 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home